Ready to hit the open road and explore all your favorite outdoor places? Look no further than this custom-built 2017 RAM Promaster Camper Van! This van has been built with meticulous attention to detail, making it the perfect choice for adventure seekers who want to take their camping experience to the next level.
I purchased this van as an empty cargo van and custom-built it from beginning to end. It was a fun project and when all was said and done, it carried me on lots of fun adventures.
The time has come to say goodbye to it and put it into someone else’s hands. Why? Mainly because I am ready for a new challenge, although I’m not quite sure what that is yet. I may convert another van or I may move up to a larger rig. There’s also the option to purchase a truck camper and use it as needed since I already own a truck.
This van has been well taken care of and serviced regularly. A large part of the conversion was covered in detail on this website.
YEAR, MAKE, & MODEL
2017 RAM PROMASTER
2500 – 159″ WB
(AS OF 5/4/2023)
Clean Title and ready for a quick sale
I purchased this empty cargo van in 2018 with 27,300 miles on it and commenced to converting it. I spent a ton of time creating the exact environment I wanted. It turned out well and has been a great camper van that has taken me confidently on lots of fun trips. I have had no issues with it and there are no known mechanical issues. It runs and drives just as you’d expect.
I haven’t had a single issue with this van since I’ve owned it. Other than regular oil and filter changes, and front tire replacement, there isn’t much to report. It’s been a very dependable camper van.
I used Mobile 1 Extended performance – Advanced full synthetic (5W-20) Oil and Mopar MO-349 filters for these changes (except for the first one done at a dealership, not sure what they used). These oil changes were done on the following dates:
- 9/18/18 – Mileage: 27502 – Oil and filter change and inspection at Dodge dealership shortly after purchasing the van
- 6/3/20 – Mileage: 31016 – Oil and filter changed by me
- 8/1/21 – Mileage: 36385 – Oil and filter changed by me
- 4/1/23 – Mileage: 40000 – Oil and filter changed by me
I also had the front tires replaced in 2021 with the same factory tires
- Front tire replacement – Nexen Roadian CT8 HL
The rear tires are still in like-new condition with plenty of tread left.
The solar system on this van takes advantage of the Goal Zero portable system. Since I am not a full-timer, I wanted something that could be removed when needed. Goal Zero gave me the best option. This system has been more than powerful enough to provide me with sufficient electricity while on my journeys.
- Goal Zero Yeti 1400 – 132Ah lithium battery
- 200 watts of solar panels – (2 Renegy 100-watt) flexible solar panels on the roof
- Maxxair 5100k fan keeps you cool during even the hottest days
- Sliding rear window for ample airflow
- Running boards on each side
The high-quality finishings in this van not only make it a joy to look at but also a pleasure to live in. You’ll feel right at home with the spacious yet simple layout, complete with a light color scheme that really opens it up. And the best part? You can easily make it your own. The basic layout has been thoughtfully designed with both functionality and beauty in mind, serving as a blank canvas for your personal touch.
Below, you’ll find a list of the features you can expect from the interior living space.
Shower / Toilet
- 24″ x 32″ Lippert Components Shower pan
- Shower stall space lined and waterproofed with FRP
- Dura Faucet DF-SA150-VB Venetian bronze faucet and DF-SA130-VB sprayer
- Extend-A-Shower rod with curtain
- Water supply connected to the main 16-gallon freshwater tank
- The water heater is connected and available when on shore power
- Thetford Porta Potti 565e
Some people want one and some people don’t. Personally, I love having a shower in my van and I built this one to be as comfortable and accommodating as possible.
A camper van with a custom built-in shower and water heater is a convenient and practical solution for those who enjoy the freedom of the open road but don’t want to sacrifice the comforts of home. With this feature, travelers can take a shower in comfort no matter where they are, without the need to find public shower facilities or rely on cold water showers.
The built-in water heater ensures a warm and comfortable shower experience, even in colder temperatures. The shower stall is compact, measuring 24″ x 32″. However, it does have a shower curtain bar that extends out, allowing for maximum use of space while showering.
For the toilet, a Thetford Porta Potti 565e is used and fits perfectly in the shower. You can close the curtain for more privacy if needed. This cassette toilet is nearly brand new and has only been used a few times (for number 1). It has been thoroughly cleaned and comes with the van (if you want it…I totally understand if you don’t).
- Custom built sink-base with finished butcher block top
- 3 drawers with soft close drawer slides
- Rev-A-Shelf sink front tray under the sink that pulls out for additional storage
- 2 cabinet doors with lots of under-sink space for water jugs and other supplies
- 16″ x 16″ (7″ deep) composite granite sink
- Dura Faucet DF-SA150-VB Venetian bronze faucet with detachable sprayer
- Connected to main 16-gallon water supply and water heater
- 5-gallon grey water tank underneath sink for easy access and disposal
- Dometic CFX 75DZW Refrigerator/freezer combo hidden under bed with easy pull-out on a Dometic rail system
- Ratcheting paper towel holder that stays in place as you drive
- Room above kitchen area to make it your own and install towel bars, hooks, magnets, etc.
- A camp stove that sits on the kitchen countertop for cooking or can be taken outdoors
- Eureka Ignite camp stove included
- All dishes, pots, pans, silverware, plates, bowls, cups, etc. included
This simple kitchen provides you enough space to cook meals, wash dishes, wash your hands, and do all the activities you would normally do in a kitchen. While there is not a built-in cooktop, I have found that having a portable camping stove has been my preferred choice. I’ve whipped up countless meals in here and can confidently say that it’s more than capable of delivering.
- Dining table on a Lagun mount that allows it to swivel into various positions
- The swivel passenger seat has access to the table on one side while a person on the bench has access to the other
- Custom-built bench with storage underneath and behind
- Cushions purchased from Ballard Designs made to fit
- Cupboard with storage for food and other supplies
- Upper cabinet storage
- Projector setup so that you can enjoy watching something while eating
This dining area is the star of the show for the van! It’s a great place to sit and relax, have a bite to eat, or enjoy a drink while looking out the door at a spectacular view. This has always been my favorite part of the van and it allowed me to be in nature and enjoy the scenery while having all the comforts of home. You’ll love it!
- Cedar plank ceiling
- LED recessed lighting is controlled in two separate zones and switches (main area, bed area)
There’s just something about a beautifully crafted cedar ceiling that instantly adds warmth and coziness to any space. And in the case of this van, it’s no exception. Just take one look up and you’ll be transported to a peaceful cabin in the woods. And with the LED lights providing just the right amount of illumination, you won’t have to worry about squinting to see your surroundings.
Plus, the dimming capabilities in both zones mean you can easily shift from bright and cheerful to lowkey and relaxed. And when it’s time to wind down for the night, you’ll love being able to catch a movie on the projector with the perfect ambiance.
- Lifeproof Click Lock Waterproof Luxury Vinyl Wide Plank Flooring in Trail Oak
Cleaning a small van can feel like an endless task, especially if you’re an adventurous soul who’s always out and about. But don’t worry – with this vinyl plank flooring, you can have both the cozy feel of a wooden floor and the durability/ease of cleaning that vinyl provides. Dirt and mud are no match for this easy-to-clean flooring, which makes it a perfect choice for outdoor enthusiasts.
Whether you’re wiping away rainy day footprints or muddy paw prints from your furry friend, this oak vinyl flooring is a great option for keeping your van looking beautiful and homey.
- Fixed full-size bed frame with slats from Ikea
- Memory foam mattress that is very comfortable
- Mattress protector and cooling cover have been installed since day one keeping the mattress clean and providing a cooler sleeping surface
- Dimmable lighting above the bed area allows for bright lights or low lights
- Projector mounting location for watching movies or other content
- Sliding window to allow for airflow
You’ll sleep well on this full-sized mattress no matter where you are. Not only is it great for sleeping at your destination but also while traveling. I used to take breaks at rest stops and get in a few minutes of shut-eye while on the road. It’s a comfortable space that makes it really feel like a home.
- Garage storage under the bed is great for extra storage or could easily be customized with even more great features
- LED light on each side of garage
- The electrical system is neatly installed in this space
- The water system is easily accessible
When you hit the open road in your camper van, you want to make sure you have everything you need to enjoy your journey. That’s where the garage of your van comes in handy. It’s the perfect spot to stash away all those items that you don’t need constant access to but still want to keep close by.
Think tools, extra supplies, and other odds and ends that you’d typically store in your at-home garage. With plenty of storage space, you won’t have to worry about leaving anything behind or cramming it into the living area of your van. It’s important to have space for this kind of storage and the garage in this van will give you plenty of it.
Other Interior Features
- Swivel passenger seat that can serve as a place to eat at the table – It’s the best seat in the house so you’ll be fighting over it unless you are traveling solo
- Lots of built-in storage – overhead cabinets, bench storage, floor cabinets, drawers, and garage area
- A 16-gallon fresh water tank that can be filled from the rear fill valve
- 5-gallon grey water container as well as a 5-gallon drinking water container
- Shureflo Revolution 4008 12V water pump
- Shureflo Accumulator tank
- 120V Electrical outlets with additional USB ports
- 15-Amp shore power outlet
The electrical system in this van features a full-fledged AC and DC system. You’ll be able to enjoy your 120-volt items as well as 12-volt items. Most of the van uses the 12-volt system including the lights, water pump, Maxxair fan, and USB ports. For 120-volt AC items, you can simply turn the inverter on and plug into the normal household outlets in the wall.
There is a 15-Amp shore power outlet and an extension cord that can be plugged in using a normal outlet. There is also a 30amp to 15amp pigtail that allows you to plug into a 30-Amp outlet.
Other Items Included:
- Anker Nebula Capsule Max Projector and a 40-inch screen with multiple hanging positions already set up (for movie nights)
- User manuals for most of the main systems in the van (refrigerator, Goal Zero Yeti 1400, faucets, etc.)
- Extra parts not used during van build
This van has been an absolute joy to own and use! It is perfect for anyone who is looking for a small space that is drivable and contains all the necessary systems for comfortable living. With all the bells and whistles you could ask for, you won’t have to sacrifice comfort or convenience on the open road.
And with only 40,000 miles under its belt, it’s in excellent condition and ready for whatever you throw its way. So grab your gear, jump in, and hit the road with confidence. Where will your next adventure take you? With this camper van, the possibilities are endless.